Five Brake Hoses on a Reatta?

AZVET

Sadly I am getting too old and stiff to lay on the cement garage floor and do much of the undercar work.  I changed the fuel filter earlier this week and the getting down, up again for another tool over and over again just about did me in.  Wish I had a lift!

I don't know when my brake hoses were last changed and I figured after 30 years and 118,000 miles my 88 Reatta was due.

I used a local Brake Masters to flush my brakes last year and figured I would let them handle the job.  They could not find a nearby parts store that had the left front hose so I ordered one from eBay and got a Dorman hose.

When I stopped at their shop today they said I would have to wait a couple of days as the only place they could find all 3 of the rear hoses was a 2-day shipment away.  They stated the Reatta has one hose at each wheel and another hose where the single rear brake line splits to go to the rear  brakes.  I guess my Reatta education and knowledge was incomplete as I never realized this 5th hose was used on the car:P

Back east, the issue you should be concerned about is not brake hoses, but the steel lines.

I'm sure if your car was in Kingman most of its life (or there about), this wouldn't be an issue.

I've never seen a ruptured brake hose; clogged or collapsed maybe, not ruptured.

I've got a '97 Seville with a worn spot on the LR brake hose (rubbing on the tire) that I'll get around to one of these days. Been that way for two years.

Back in 1968 I sold my 65 Vette when I got shipped to Vietnam.  I took a 59 Chevy in trade.  When I returned in 1969 my new bride and I were driving somewhere in that 59 when the left front brake hose burst.  I have always replaced them on any old car I bought after that surprise!

I also feel that you get a firmer pedal when you replace old brake lines with new ones.