WTB—2 new exhaust manifolds for 1965 401

bc65riv

Need 1 or 2 new or nearly new exhaust manifolds for my 65 401.

Question: Is there any alternative to pulling out the motor to replace these manifolds? It’s the original motor——never been out and all the studs will probably break off as one has already?

Help

2 hours ago, bc65riv said:

Need 1 or 2 new or nearly new exhaust manifolds for my 65 401.

Question: Is there any alternative to pulling out the motor to replace these manifolds? It’s the original motor——never been out and all the studs will probably break off as one has already?

Help

I have swapped manifolds on this model MANY times due to cracking, etc without removing the motor. I`m assuming the stud you snapped was not a bolt which holds the manifold to the head but a stud to secure the exhaust header pipe to the manifold? The biggest problem I have encountered with swapping manifolds is sometimes the size of the bolt head is not standard due to heating and cooling causing shrinking of the bolt head. So, depending on the degree of shrinking one can force a smaller socket onto what is left of the bolt head or use a metric size. A vice grip or a small pipe wrench are other options. I have never broken an exhaust manifold bolt on a Nailhead. Not saying that is not a possibility but it has never happened to me. The 430 and 455 motors are another story!!

If you are considering removing the manifolds due to a broken header pipe stud this repair can be accomplished in the car depending on your skill level and availability of tools. A torch is a must to keep from breaking them off to begin with...but I have removed and replaced broken studs from these manifolds, and other types, many times while in the car. Maybe this would be money well spent at a competent shop?

Tom Mooney