2017 Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA

So after years of talking about this, I've finally (at the urging of my wife) decided it's time to go to Carlisle and check out the Chrysler Nationals event in Carlisle. Parts for my '41 C-30 are hard to come by at the swap meets in the Northeast, and if I'm going to find anything it would likely be here. I'd love to hear some advice from some of you that have attended previously (or may be going in July). We've already booked our rooms, and cleared our schedule for the three days. Here's the biggest issue for me - my knees are extremely bad, and at the swap meets I attend around here, I take my bike and am able last the day, put parts in my basket, and cover the whole field. Carlisle dwarfs any of the NE meets, so this will be a challenge. 

Do they allow bikes on the field? If so, would you advise taking mine, renting or buying one from a vendor? Are there parts vendors I absolutely shouldn't miss that might be a good fit for my car? I'm pretty excited about this, but am really anxious to take full advantage of the trip, so any - advice - suggestions - warnings - are very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Dave

Edited by 1941_Saratoga (see edit history)

There is a lot of walking for sure. I believe you can rent scooters but not sure if you need some type of medical proof of need or not. I would call Carlisle and find out about that and what their policy is for other types of transport.  Regarding your 41 Chrysler, the event has morphed into mostly B body parts and concentrated on late 60 and newer cars. You seldom see on the show field a good selection of 1930, 40, or 50 cars anymore. There are still a very few vendors that specialize in older parts. One vendor that usually has a good selection you can email ahead of time to let him know what you are looking for and he can bring it to the show if he has it. You can reach him at, parts4u@aol.com. You never know about this show. Some years you hardly ever see a beige and red or green Chrysler box and other years you might see quite a few . Last year was a fairly good year. Best time to get there is Thursday set up if possible and Friday. Vendors start bugging out on Late Friday and Saturday. 

Thanks Walter, that's very helpful. Since I posted this, I've called Carlisle events and asked about using a bike on the field. They do allow them after hours, but not during the meet itself. The advice was pretty much in line with yours, possibly renting a Scootaround ($85/day). I've also spoken with a few local acquaintances who have echoed your sentiments that the show is geared mostly toward 60's and later Chryslers. Of course, if there are fewer 40's parts, that would probably limit the walking I'd be doing, and a couple of pre-show cortisone shots might do the trick.

If I'm not mistaken, the email address you gave is for AMS Obsolete (?). If so, I've gotten a few parts from there, and have been very satisfied with their service, so that's a good idea about calling and giving them a parts list. Appreciate the advice!

Dave