90 Reatta Convertable Dash Cluster Installation

Guest loupet

Guest loupet

Well, I`m slowly getting my Reatta back together with all of you helping. I purchased a reman dash cluster and trying to install it. I`m having a hard time connecting the wire harness connector to the cluster. I had it connected but when I push the cluster back in place (bottom of cluster where the harness connects to the cluster), the wire harness is not folding correctly for the cluster to sit flush in place. Any tips on doing this easier or a better way would surely help. And, I have well, sort a dumb question to ask. Does the wire harness connector have to connect to the cluster a certain way? Does it matter if the connector is flipped upside down?  Thanks again.

The wiring harness is not exposed. It is mounted in the dash and you just slide the the cluster up to it and let the pins engage. If you have the harness any other way you will not get the cluster to where it belongs. 

• Like 1

Guest loupet

So, the harness connector should be secure to the dash? So when you push the cluster in, it should connect? Well, on mine, the harness connector is loose. (Maybe at one point someone already fooled with it) I have to angle the cluster and, try to squeeze my hand to connect the connector to the cluster. Not fun. Thanks for letting me know the connector only clips on the cluster one way. Have to try again today after work. Thank you guys. Dave, when I had the cluster connected, it worked as it should.

There should be tabs to lock the plug in place. As long as you have the tabs on the front of the plug you should still be good. Just feed the wires back behind the dash and tape the plug in place. Then install the cluster.

I have seen this in cars I pulled parts from. I often wondered why someone would try pulling that plug out when it seems obvious [at least to me] that the cluster seems like it is on a "track" and will slide right into place and engage the pins. 

When I am pulling parts I look at it from how the workers assembled the car at the plant. What would be the easiest way of installing the part, then remove the part in the inverse order.

In my early Reatta days, before I pulled a part on my car I would always go to Gibson's and remove a part there.

Nothing like learning on a car that is not yours...

• Like 1

Guest loupet

Thanks guys. I hope that the harness connector is not broke which will not allow me to place back into the dash. I will have to inspect it more closely.

Guest loupet

Well, I installed the cluster and, went in just like you said Dave. Once I put the harness connector back in it's place in the dash, the cluster popped right in. Thanks to you too 89RedDarkGrey for guiding me to be gentle with the pins. I couldn't have done it without you two. Many thanks.