1963 Pontiac LeMans questions

Vintagecarguy

Hello all,

I am looking into a 1963 Pontiac LeMans 326 with an automatic, and had some questions about its curious "Corvair-esque" transaxle and "rope drive" drive shaft. Are there any known problems with its flexible drive shaft? Also, I have heard that, when cornering you have to "keep your foot on the gas" to keep the shafts of the transaxle from "jacking up?" I have heard mention there were some problems about the drive shaft and transaxle setup, but nothing ever specific.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vintagecarguy.

• 2 weeks later...

Re cornering.  The safe way to corner any car is to brake before entering the corner and to power through and out of the corner.  Just be sure you brake a little before entering the corner.  I was driving my 53 Buick through a series of ess curves.  The first one was fine in a 50 and out a 60, the second was in at almost 60 and out at 70, the third was in at almost 70 and out at 80, the forth was in at 80 and sideways coming out into the ditch.  Should have slowed down more going into three and four.  I had the power but not the traction.  Eventually (after three or four tries) I was able to go through these corners and come out at over 90.