Fatman Steering Wheel

theKiwi

I recently got a spare steering column (amongst other things!) for my 1926 Franklin Series 11A, and attached to the top of the steering column was a single "arm" with a latch mechanism. It soon dawned on my that this was part of a "Fatman" steering wheel.

IMG_9783.thumb.JPG.ee1c9955530367664abeccbda7d08b78.JPG

Some digging around online has found a few photos of what I believe is the steering wheel this was part of - e.g. this image

DSC_0130.JPG.afd6b05a4fabfa35e6e360f4d7c1d70b.JPG

From this page 

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2013/09/ive-never-seen-3-of-these-fatman.html

which has a series of pictures showing the wheel in the driving position and then in the "getting a fattie behind the wheel" position. The arm and latches I have looks just like this.

Does anyone know what make/model etc of wheel this is specifically? A Neville or something else?

Even better - does anyone have a wheel, missing the centre arm and latch part that might want to sell it?

Thanks!

Roger

Roger,

I've seen fat man wheels (called tilting wheels) on early Lincolns. It appears the pic you posted is from a model L Lincoln (the three levers are the clue, the bottom one is the new light switch introduced in early 1928ish). The Lincoln parts book shows a tilting wheel as a factory option, available circa 1922-1928. Don't know the brand and suspect Lincoln purchased from a vendor.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Friartuck said:

Roger,

I've seen fat man wheels (called tilting wheels) on early Lincolns. It appears the pic you posted is from a model L Lincoln (the three levers are the clue, the bottom one is the new light switch introduced in early 1928ish). The Lincoln parts book shows a tilting wheel as a factory option, available circa 1922-1928. Don't know the brand and suspect Lincoln purchased from a vendor.

If you go to the link I posted

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2013/09/ive-never-seen-3-of-these-fatman.html

and look at the pictures there - are pictures 4 and 5 also a Lincoln - certainly it's a different car...

Roger