1930 series 40 Steering Questions

tomsupon1

Hi all and a happy new year to you.

i have a couple of questions about working the steering column and have them listed below. 

1.  Is the steering column jacket (PN: 258996) removable?

2.  There is a piece (pic1), cannot find a PN in my master parts book,  looks as though it goes between the steering wheel base and the column jacket, but mine is not held in place and slides down the shaft to where the cowl bracket (No PN in master book spiciric to 1930 model). How do I put it in the correct position and keep it there?

3.  The steering column jacket seems to be turned inward (towards the center of the car), if I line up the indent for the cowl bracket washer (pic 2 & 3). How can I turn the outer shaft to make the bracket perpependicular to the dash mounting provisions?  I did loosen the large nut (pic 4) and that allows the outer shaft to be rotated but allows for to much slop in the steering when rotated to what I believe is the correct position for the bracket. 

4. Does anyone have or would be willing to take a picture of the position of the two gears at the bottom of the steering shaft with the spark and throttle controls in the positions shown in pic 5?  I did take pictures before removal, but when I position them this way they do not seem to work correctly. The old ones were really torn up and the shaft with the slots to position them correctly was removed without pictures. 

5.  Is there a book available that details the mechanical systems with tear down and rebuild instructions?

Thanks for all your knowledge and assistance with my project. As all of you have been where I am or are currently in process with your restoration. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 the jacket can be removed,once the big nut is removed,the nut is there to preload the bearings in the steering gear., bearing outer race drops out then the jacket.

2 the ring covers the gap between the shaft and the wheel,its proberly swolen up (pot metal) glue it on.

3 on the big nut is a clamp bolt at the top loosening this allows the jacket to rotate.

4 basicly the gears are keyed its only going to go one way.

5 only book is the refference manual and adjustments and specs.

hope this helps

Scott

19300110.jpg

1930_10111.jpg

1930 20112.jpg

your welcome

scott

1 the jacket can be removed,once the big nut is removed,the nut is there to preload the bearings in the steering gear., bearing outer race drops out then the jacket.

2 the ring covers the gap between the shaft and the wheel,its proberly swolen up (pot metal) glue it on.

3 on the big nut is a clamp bolt at the top loosening this allows the jacket to rotate.

4 basicly the gears are keyed its only going to go one way.

5 only book is the refference manual and adjustments and specs.

hope this helps

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. To get the steering column jacket off I have to remove the steering wheel. I have all the levers removed but I noticed that my master parts manual calls for 4 friction plugs. Upon removal I only have three. I assume they are brass as they are not magnetic, so I will find some stock at the stairs and cut another. My book also says there are 2 friction springs, which I have. Can I assume the spring goes between the two friction plugs?

also is there any trick to removing the steering wheel nut?  I have tried to turn if off in both directions with the front wheels at the left and right stops with no luck. I wanted to ask before I use a cheater bar and possible break something. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

• Like 1