pontiac body and motor numbers

Guest trdatisola

Guest trdatisola

The pontiac I am restoring has several numbers on the body and the engine. I'm interested in what they can tell me about the car

Job No. 8940

Body No. 50086

two numbers on engine: Just above and to the left of the oil dip stick P617435, the other  is 526865 CWC

On the frame below driver side fender :540092-P

Any help will be appreciated

The Job number 8940 makes the vehicle a Series 6-29 A which makes it a 1930 Pontiac Two-Door Sedan.  This was a 5 pass vehicle weighing 2595 and selling for $745.00. It would have been built after August 1929 but before October 1929 when the Series 6-30B started.  The only visible difference between the series is the 6-29A has a crease in the cowl that outlines the "A" pillar and the belt molding is concave.  The 6-30B has a smooth cowl and a convex molding.  Mechanically they are almost identical.

The body number is the sequential number of the body only.

The P number on the block is the sequential engine number. It appears that you engine is the original.

The frame number is the Serial number of the vehicle.  There seems to be no break out for specific models but 120,000 29 Pontiacs were made.

GM used to be able to confirm if this is the original engine in this chassis but there is no sequential connection between these numbers as this same engine was used in some GMC trucks.  I had two 1930  Pontiacs only a thousand numbers apart by serial number but nearly three thousand apart by engine number and GM confirmed that both were original engines.