new member seeks info on HPOF judging

I have recently purchased a very special "barn find". It is a 1965 Apollo conv. It is "new" in that it is just as it arrived from Italy ready for the Buick driveline to be installed. The paint, chrome, uph. and undercoated chassis are mint. The car was sold at a customs action after Apollo went out of business. I plan to preserve everthing in its orginial condition and install the correct driveline restored to the level found in a new Apollo <BR>in 1965. With my membership application I requested info on preservation judging. I was sent a one page copy of the HPOF paragraph F. This paragraph states that cars must be 45 years old. In my first issue of AA. I see winners of a preservation class at the SE. National as new as early 1970's. I have ordered a Judging Manual which will answer my questions when it arrives but for now can someone help me with a quick answer?Thanks, Rob. <P>------------------<BR>

the perservation you see in the Antique Automobile Magizne of cars newer than 45 years old are cars that have already won their junior and senior awards. These cars are competing for thier perservation awards. these cars will have to score 350 points or more. This allows the car owners to drive the car some. The owner still needs to keep the car in "show quality". They can't just let the car go down hill. <P>The HPOF class is Histrical Preservation of Orignial Features. This class is for the cars 45 years old and older that still have better than 50% of its orginal stuff on it. seat covers, paint, carpet, headliners, etc. A lot of these cars would not win any award if judged like other cars in the show. The main idea behind this class is to have orignal cars that people can look at in a "perserved" state instead of restored. <BR>Hope this helps to explain things better for you. When you get your judges manual you'll want to look at Section IV D and F. pages 44 & 46 in the 2000 manual.

Also when you get the manual take a look at the low production and prototype class. The Apollo may qualify for that class, but there will have to be a request made, with appropriate documentation to the VP Class Judging. This is explained in the manual, but we will help if you need it.