65 Wildcat - GM Fullsize Disc Brake Conversion

Guest 1965cat

Guest 1965cat

Does anyone know if I can purchase the "GM full size Disk Brake" conversion for use on my '65 Wildcat Convertible? I have asked the manufacturer but they have attempted there conversion on a Full Size Buick.. I though of trying spindles from a '65 Impala and buying the conversion for the Impala, but did not know if it was worth the effort....Any thoughts on how to proceed???

Just a thought for you . . . Buick's finned aluminum drum brakes were considered the best in the industry during that era. I wonder how much advantage -- if any -- there is in converting to discs. In terms of improving safety, my impression is that conversion to a dual master cylinder system would be of greater benefit.<P>Any other opinions about this?

I saw a 67 riv in july 2k hot rod pushin 425 hp and 550 lb/ft using factory drums all the way around. It is one sweet ride. Black and chrome slammed 4 inches and has shaved handles and locks. C'est manifique.

Guest 1965cat

I guess I am "spoiled" with the disc brakes on my truck.... but I plan on driving the Buick a lot and would like the benefits of non-adjustments, and non-fading brakes on relatively quick stops.... This isn't something I have to do immediatley, but would appreciate some suggestions.... This is not an original or show quality car...<P>Thanks,<P>Mark<BR>mbuchanan@sofamordanek.com

Guest John Chapman

Mark,<P>I checked my vendor sources for a kit... none for the high line B body cars. Most of the after market brake vendors (PST, Stainless Steel, Motion PowerBrake, etc., offer kits for the full size Chevy, though. I'd check and see if the parts are interchangeable.<P>Cheers,<BR>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR> jmchapman@aol.com

Hey 65<P>I have a 65 Electra225 convert. I still have all drum brakes. But I did convert to a dual master cylinder. And it seems to work well.<BR> But I cant agree with others about the aluminum drums being as good or better than disk. Ill bet the earlier Buicks with disks will match, though experimentation and lots of checking, measuring would be needed. I believe the 67 or 68 had disks as an option... Ide even try a 69 or 70 Buick,olds or pontiac. There are Books called Hollander that can tell what parts will fit what cars.<BR>Please let me know what you can find. Good Luck!<P>Jim<P>