Gears/complete gearbox axle/info wanted

Guest RC45

I have dismantled the gearbox of my Stutz KDH open tourer from 1921 and found that one of the gears is damaged by some pitting. As far I can see, are those gears pressed on the axle. Before causing some more damage by doing something wrong I would like to know if anybody know how to dismantle this axle ? Those gears have (see picture) from left to right 14, 19, 25 and 31 teeths; does anyone has a similar axle with gears or the 25-teeth gear for sale ?

Any help in this would be very much appreciated.

Picture attached (I hope...)

post-74462-143138863416_thumb.jpg

Edited by RC45 (see edit history)

Here is a bare shaft and gear but like yours, it is only good as a sample. Next is a very good non-Sutz gear with correct tooth count and form that would need to have center remachined to fit the shaft $75. Last is set of copies of original factory blueprints for the transmisswion gears ( less reverse idler) really save time money and trouble if you need to cut a gear $85. Note that the 2 smallest gears on the countershaft were made as one piece.

post-34894-143138863721_thumb.jpg

post-34894-143138863724_thumb.jpg

post-34894-143138863727_thumb.jpg

post-34894-143138863729_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Oldcartech

It is possible to have the gears bronzed. I think it’s called liquid bronzing. The bronzing fills in any cracks (not bad crakes), pits and wear and depending on dipping procedures can add additional material onto the metal. Also it depends on how much wear you plan on getting in the future. The straight cut gears if not available, can be made… but then you need to broach the shaft and centers of the gear. That can be very expensive or cheap depending on the unit. Hopefully you only want this for short jaunts and not long hauls. Most of the older good machinists and heat-treat’ers know of this old process. They have probably improved it over the years. You can go into the internet and find straight cut gears to match and send a drawing, copy, and photo and or sketch so they know what the heck you are talking about.

• 1 month later...
Guest RC45
It is possible to have the gears bronzed. I think it’s called liquid bronzing. The bronzing fills in any cracks (not bad crakes), pits and wear and depending on dipping procedures can add additional material onto the metal. Also it depends on how much wear you plan on getting in the future. The straight cut gears if not available, can be made… but then you need to broach the shaft and centers of the gear. That can be very expensive or cheap depending on the unit. Hopefully you only want this for short jaunts and not long hauls. Most of the older good machinists and heat-treat’ers know of this old process. They have probably improved it over the years. You can go into the internet and find straight cut gears to match and send a drawing, copy, and photo and or sketch so they know what the heck you are talking about.

Sorry for this late respiknse; I overlooked your email. Unfortunately the pits and wear was to much to fill it up the way you have suggested, so new items have been machined.