1926 Stutz questions

1927 S

• 2 years later...
Guest '22 Brewster

Brian,

I just found your question from JAN of 2011 regarding the 1926 Stutz. First, eBay regularly has a Stutz add for sale from that era with body by Brewster. I believe there is one for sale right now, but not certain which Stutz model. Second, William Brewster (President of Brewster & Co.) writes in his daily journal on 03 SEP 1925 "Indianapolis. Looked over Stutz factory." Then on 17 SEP 1925 William writes, "took Cal Gorrell of the Stutz to lunch." I suspect that the reference to lunch was after he had returned to NYC. The time frame for these meeting is shortly prior to Brewster's sale to Rolls Royce of America. However, William Brewster did remain as President of Brewster and became Vice-president of Rolls Rpyce of America following the sale. I would be interested to know the body number on any Stutz chassis believed to have been bodied by Brewster for my Brewster database.

God bless,

Frank

As I'm sure you know, (and substitute any body design/build company for Brewster), "design by Brewster" and "body by Brewster" are two completely different things. To further confuse things, a body "built by Brewster" may not be a Brewster design nor Brewster body, and a body designed by Brewster and built by factory would not be a "Brewster body".

For example, 1930's Pierce Arrow convertible sedans were a Pierce design, built by LeBaron workshop, and delivered in the white (primer) to the Pierce factory, but they are not considered either design or body "by LeBaron".

Thus, to be a true custom bodied car, the body would need to be of Brewster design, built by Brewster, and installed on a factory chassis.

Again, I'm not picking on Brewster, this would apply to all custom body firms.

Hope that makes sense, if anyone disagrees I'm sure we'll know!

Guest '22 Brewster

Exactly. If the design was not by Brewster, but build by Brewster they did not put their name on it. Of course, body tags can become lost. The same would apply if they did not build the body, but simply designed it. It does seem more than likely from the references I mentioned earlier that Brewster was engaged with Stutz in some fashion. Moreover, Brewster was building bodies for other than Rolls Royce after purchased by Rolls Royce of America. The reason I'm interested in the body number is that it would determine if, in fact, Brewster built the bodies. Brewster numbered their bodies in order beginning with #101 in 1915 (see my list in coachbuilt.com for first 1400 Brewster bodies, if interested-page 2) Unfortunately, the Brewster journals that have survived end in 1925 and the later existing journals do not reference many body numbers. However, as a reference point in 1923, Brewster was numbering in the 2500s. William Brewster's 1926 or '27 Rolls (don't remember which year off the top of my head) was in the 2800s.

God bless,

Frank

Hello All,

For some additional information on standard and custom Stutz bodies (and a Brewster connection) go to coachbuilt.com

and read about Robbins. They were around the corner from the Stutz plant and were very involved after the introduction of the vertical 8.

I found the connection after purchasing a Robbin bodied Paige and comparing it to my AA sedan. Many similarities but no

body builder tag on the Stutz.

Well worth the read.

Dennis

PS for Brian - Let's get together soon!