Rusty_OToole    405

In his hand built car he struts

He started with a Safety Stutz

Nash, Cadillac, gears, bolts and nuts

A thousand welds, a thousand cuts

To build the homeliest of mutts

O how the Classic Club tut-tuts

And Stutz restorers hate his guts.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

zipdang    61

When was the nosed changed from the Studebaker? And to what? I think the Stude flows better.

mercer09    124

I have the XK 140 I drove in college home in the garage. Last run in 1969. I'm gonna fix 'er up someday.

that's what everyone says....................

the dog was named Neil, so he wouldnt run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

padgett    381

Gives a whole 'nother meaning to Studillac.

Willie Wurke    35
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2010 at 9:17 PM, t_towner said:

That's interesting. Definately looks like 49 Caddy fins and possibly front.

I wonder who would do such a thing? Hasn't the DV-32 chassis always been expensive? The craftsmanship is incredible. Why would someone yank a Stutz body and do this unless the buyer or circumstance were very special?

It is said this car was one of 2 cars built for the movie Topper w/ Cary Grant. They used the 36 Buick vs this particular car. It could have been the sequel to Topper he is talking about. I was hoping someone would know the car or the coach builder?

All the parts are there.

ad9367b0.jpg

f51ab256.jpg

Here is an answer to your third question. At a trotting track (horse racing) in Australia they used a Stutz starting gate that was a car with the body removed.  Our fellow club member down there , Garry M,

now has it and is building a three door roadster body similar to a Locke body on it. I hope he reads this post and will give us a progress report 

edinmass    234

This car is currently owned by a local friend and car collector. I spent a few minute looking it over last week. I'm not sure quite how to describe it. It's built with talent and thoughtfulness. Like so many one off customs they look and feel a bit ............awkward or off. To be fair I think it will look much better when it is put back to its original configuration. They have acquired the parts to do so. As the current owner has a bunch of cars and is very active in the hobby, I'm not sure how soon he will get to it. Ed.

JustDave    31

years back i was at the pomona swapmeet this is probably sometime in the seventies there was a custom supposidly built for the movie boston blackie,it was a cut down lincoln as i remember looked similar to this car supposidly built for or by the studios  as i remember it was 1200 back then it was red and pretty rough,about a year later i saw it advertised in hemmings it was in colorado at that time    dave

Restorer32    478
21 hours ago, mercer09 said:

I have the XK 140 I drove in college home in the garage. Last run in 1969. I'm gonna fix 'er up someday.

that's what everyone says....................

the dog was named Neil, so he wouldnt run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes even more ironic is the fact I've owned a restoration shop for 37+ years.