Pinstriping original to 66 riv?

Don59

Hi all,

I was wondering about pinstriping on a 66 Riv. I once owned a (very used) 66 Riv GS that had decal type pinstriping running the length of the car at the TOP of the doors (just below the chrome at the top of the door) and fenders (where the side vertical surface did a right angle to the top horizontal surface of the fender). I've seen other pictures where the pinstriping follows the natural line on the vertical surfaces on the side of the car, about 6 inches below where my old car had it. Was either of these factory (or dealer) correct? I have another 66GS in the paint shop and want to pinstripe it correctly if there is such a thing. Thanks.

No 66 Rivs left the factory with pinstriping to my knowledge. If striping was done at a dealer in the late 60s, I would expect it to be painted on rather than chincy tape. Most likely it was added by a DIYS'er or a bodyshop.

Guest Riviera66

Don:

I got your email as well as this post so thought I'd reply publicly. The earliest documentation I have found so far for Buick factory pinstriping is on 1972s. (And on '72s it was part of the vinyl top package.)

So your '66s pinstriping is an add-on... probably from much later in the car's life.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor