68 Driveshaft Question

Guest BJM

I asked this once before: no answers - how do you seperate the front and rear driveshafts on the 66-70 Rivieras?

I am trying to reduce so that I can take them in for servicing. i have removed a very small hex fastener and pounded outward on the coupling but no luck.

The slip joint should come apart simply by loosening the locknut, sliding it back and pulling the shaft apart.

There may be a burr that developed at the inner-most end of the splines preventing it from sliding out. I have encounted this on at least a couple occasions. I clamp one end of the shaft in a sturdy vise mounted on a sturdy table, slide the shaft forward (together) as far as it will go then with a sudden quick motion pull it outward using the inertia from the weight of the shaft to break the burr off. You may have to repeat this a few times. If it still won't come apart, I do not advise attempting to pound or beat it apart. Have a competant shop do it to avoid damaging anything.

Note: It is important to have a strong vise mounted to a heavy bench or one that is bolted down. If the bench moves too much when you pull, the shock force on the spline is greatly reduced limiting the effectiveness of the process. Treat the CV joints with care when handling. Try not to let them swivel to extreme angles. I can't remember if these splines have an index groove. Just in case be sure to put an alignment mark on each piece so it goes back together exactly the same way it came apart.

Jason,

Thaks. You verified my thinking on this, that maybe it was just dried out grease. I do need to buy a vise anyway, it's the one tool I do not have.

I will, then try again. I'll try to spray some Penetrant upin there too. And if all else faqils, will take the whole thing in.

You know how it is though: with it not coming apart, I thought I was missing a critical step.