69 Riviera Engine

Guest Mike Hogan

Guest Mike Hogan

All of the literature I read says that the 69 Riviera had a 430 engine and no option for the 455, but I have a 69 Riv in my yard with a 455. And today, one of my customers who has a 69 Riv says that he has a 455 in his and he's sure it is factory. Can anybody shine some light on this?

Mike,

This is an EXTREMELY common swap as the 430's and 455's will easily interchange. The 430 had some real issues with the oiling system and many died an early death because of those issues. As they were only produced from 67 to 69, they were not available used in very high numbers or in very good condition either. The 455's run was from 70 to 76, so there was a much greater supply of 455's out there in the used engine world. The 455 was never available from the factory in a 69 Riviera, but it isn't the worst thing in the world to have a 455 where the 430 use to reside!

HTH,

Tim McCluskey

ROA 9686

All '69 Rivieras came with 430s, but the 455 engine will drop right in, with no major mods, and you can also use the original ST400 tranny, as it bolts right up.

It is the most logical replacement engine if a good 430 is unobtainium, and originality is not a consideration.

The 455s are definitely more plentiful !

The 455 from 72-73 is best. They finally fixed the oiling problems. Valve covers I think look identical, someone would have to check pretty close to see the differences.