Asheville Reflections

JZRIV

Having just returned from the show here are some reflections for those who could not attend.

1. I've been to many meets and this one was very nice.

2. There was some serious remodeling going on at the hotel but aside from the outdoor pool being closed, the minor inconveniences didn't bother us at all. Our room was very nice along with the service. This very well could be the last time we see such a low $69 room rate. It dawned on me that people used gas prices as the excuse for not bringing their old car but the room rate was so low that they were saving $30-$50 a night compared what most meet hotels would be. The hotel was gracious enough to provide a door prize that gave away a free stay to one lucky member.

3. I'm guessing maybe 80 cars in the show but don't quote me to that. Defintely a trend towards 86-99s. That was the biggest class with at least 20 cars. They are nice to look at but given the choice I think most of us want to see more old ones. Perhaps we can come up with some incentive next year in Galena Ill that encourages folks to drive the older models.

4. The 63-65 class was only 5 cars!!!! 66-67s were fairly well represented but only one 68-69 and a couple 70s. Boat tails from each year were represented. Guessing maybe 6 cars total. One 74-78 and about 14 79-85s not including 4 convertibles. GS class had 3 66 and 1 65. What happened to all the 65s and boat tail GSs I know are out there? 3 cars in the modified class. 4 Winners Circle cars plus the 5 show cars provided by GM. Parking was a little tight but it all worked out fine in the end.

4. The Asheville area of the Smokey Mountains is beautiful. The trips to the Biltmore House, Lake Lure and Chimney Rock were outstanding attractions and that just scratched the surface....if only we had more time.

5. Weather was mid 80s with a brief rain shower in the afternoons

6. The evening functions in the hospitality room were well attended as well as the annual meeting and the technical Q & A session chaired by kingpins like Darwin Falk, Barry Smith, Tom Mooney and Bill Anderson who did an outstanding job. The banquet was also well attended at about 200 people. The food was excellent.

7. The T-shirts for the meet are beautiful. Thanks to Cory Correll for doing another outstanding job...as usual. My wife and I had the pleasure of touring the Biltmore with Cory. Besides being a talented artist, hes a great fun guy to be around.

8. Finally, the best part of any meet are the people and this year was no exception. Honestly I would not attend these meets if it were not for the old and new friendships. You go to your first meet for the cars and the rest for the people....mostly. The time goes so fast at the meet the only regret is I wish I had more time to talk to members. Thanks to Jayson Pruitt for posting a link to the nice display of pictures.

Ray Knott did another outstanding job along with his hard working dedicated support team. He is truely a class act and provides outstanding leadership for all of us. It was obvious at this meet the ROA Ship is steaming full ahead in the right direction. All Aboard!