Power Steering sort of wimpy

Lee Beery

Great progress being made on our new Buick. Well maybe it isn't all that new but it sure fools a lot of folks. I am still blown away by the comments I get when I tell people the car is 25 years old. The only major task I have yet to do is rework the headlights. I have the kits but I am having too much fun driving the car. One question I have is the power steering seems to be wimpy. I don't recall any of my other older Buicks requiring so much muscle power to turn the wheel. There is no info in the Buick Service Manual on the subject that I can find. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Guest PontiacDude210

I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen some very poor bypass jobs done to eliminate the PS cooler which involved subpar lines, which could cause similar problems.

One question I have is the power steering seems to be wimpy. I don't recall any of my other older Buicks requiring so much muscle power to turn the wheel. There is no info in the Buick Service Manual on the subject that I can find. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Compared to contemporary Buicks, the Reatta steering requires more effort, but it also provides a stronger road feedback. This is not a one finger power assist setup, especially at a dead stop. Having owned mine since it was new, this is simply the way Buick intended.

Power steering sort of wimpy--- David that is what I had hoped to hear. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Since you are an original owner I bet you can tell me if a little more resistance in throttle (foot feed) is also normal?? My every day car is a 2002 Buick and my wife's car is a 2005 Buick and the Reatta foot feed sure feels different. lb

The back pressure on the throttle is on par with the steering. As long as you are not detecting any hint of sticking as you exercise the accelerator pedal, what you are experiencing is normal. Again, the Reatta was never a typical Buick as it had a bit of the sports car side seasoning despite being a personal luxury car.

David thanks for the reply along with the good news about the feel of the accelerator. I know about an occasional sticky throttle with our other Buicks and how to remedy that problem it was just the feel that seemed different on the Reatta and was hoping that it was normal. Thanks again........lb

Lee,

Hope this will help you feel better.........I just got 'back in the saddle' (saddle colored seat, that is) of my '89 coupe this week after having it parked since prior to Thanksgiving due to the harsh Michigan winter.

During this layup period I've been driving my trusty Chevy Trail Blazer, but when I took the Reatta out this past Tuesday there was an immediate difference in steering, braking, and throttle feel. Now, after only a few days of driving the Reatta once again, it's back to feeling 'normal'.

I LOVE driving my Reatta!!!