New to Dodges looking at a '48 deluxe

Guest Scott1953

Guest Scott1953

Hi All,

I am new to Dodges (and this forum). I am planning to take a look at a 1948 Dodge Deluxe this weekend. Found it on craiglist in New Hampshire. Can you give me anythings in particular to look for when I see the car. It is stock, and alledgedly been "done over" recently by a body shop near the sellers home.

I'm thinking every car has its trouble spots or paculiarities and you may be willing to share with me. My goal is to find a driver quality car to enjoy, not show competitivly. Also a car that can generelly keep up with modern traffic with only short trips on interstate type roads. Seems like parts are pretty available for this car. It does have the fluid drive......that seems like a good thing. Although I wonder, since it was discontinued a long time ago.

It does look real nice in the pics, but I'm leaning that even a pretty rough car looks good in pics.

Thanks for any thought you may have.

And best to all in the new year.

Scott

Just some things to look for:

Check the floors, trunk (especially the spare tire well), rocker panels and the lip that runs under the trunk lid. These are weak areas on these cars when it comes to rust.

The Fluid Drive should pose no problems as they are very reliable.

Just go over the entire car very carefully and don't be "wowed" by a new paint job. A lot of times new paint hides what was bad on a car.

Joe

Guest Scott1953

Thanks Joe... I'm hearing you on the paint job. I'll check those other items too. So the fluid drive is not something to be afraid of... Good.... And I just found a lot of info about the right fluids for it.

Although I wonder why fluid drives were not continued to the present day?

Scott