Quick discussion about coolant on the top of the motor.

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

When I was moving my new 90 coupe to winterize, I noticed green in the snow behind it(believe it or not, the green was NOT just all the money I saved by owning 2 Reattas, but I was hopeful). Opened the hood and it was coolant puddling on the top of the motor near the goose neck. It's obvious the goose neck has been removed but I can't see it leaking.

What else on the intake manifold leaks coolant? Or if the goose neck is the likely culprit as it was on my other 90 when the same thing happened, how do I get it off and back on peacefully? I had to replace my other one and 're tap the bolt hole by the time it was all done. Thanks guys!

Guest Mc_Reatta

There are 5 places where your leak could be coming from on the top driver's side of the engine. From front to back they are the thermostat outlet pipe, the straight pipe to the throttle body, the J-pipe from the throttle body, the coolant temp sensor, and a bleeder bolt. With a good light and some neck craning (a mirror too) you can check all but the rear ends of the TB coolant pipes. So you can narrow it down to them fairly simply. They are a PITA to get at, so hope it's one of the other culprits that are easier to get at.

The pipes are sealed with o-rings on three ends and a gasket on the J-pipe where the flange bolts to the IM. Only the straight pipe is available new, the J-pipe is not. Good news is unless you live in the cold regions and drive your car in the winter, you can easily survive without the pipes at all. I had a rusted thru hole in the J-pipe inside the TB body where it couldn't be seen until removed. Instead of tracking down a replacement or trying to weld the hole shut, I just plugged the holes in the IM and forgot-a-bout-it.

Guest PontiacDude210

Thank you Kerry. I beat the living crap out of the water outlet on my other Reatta. Ended up replacing that, the thermostat, and tapping the hole bigger. That info would have helped at the time. The tb coolant pipes are what I was worried about otherwise, I wasn't sure what the procedure to test and cap them was though. What is their purpose? I drive my Jeep in 5* weather and it doesn't have coolant to the throttle body, doesn't seem to hurt it either. The Reattas will never see snow unless I'm dead, so I'll delete the throttle body coolant pipes if I'm not convinced they're safe to run anymore.