'63 rims and tires

Guest Marcus J

Guest Marcus J

I need to replace the 20" rims on my '63 because they are rubbing. I'm thinking maybe 17 x 8 or 18 x 8 would work much better. I was wondering if anyone knows the offset for these sizes? Or alternatively a size that works well.

The best thing you can do is to take the car to a shop that has a gauge that will measure everything for you. It bolts on to the brake drum just like a wheel does, then it can be configured for wheel diameter and width, and tire size and profile. Then the appropriate backspacing can be determined. There are no "magic numbers" when it comes to wheels. A friend of mine did that and had his wheels custom made by the manufacturer. They cost no more that way than if he were to have bought them off the shelf. He just had to wait a little longer but as he says, that wait was well worth it.

Ed

Guest Vermont

I just put 17x7s all around on my 1964 Rivi with no problem at all. I am sure 17x8 would work in the back, and probably in the front too. I used 235/55/17, which is a common size so you can get a decent tire for under $100, maybe well under.