1953 Special 3 Spd Pedals

Pat0366

Hello Buick friends....I've removed the clutch pedal without any difficulty but I'm having trouble removing the brake pedal. There is a bracket mounted to the frame with three bolts. The pedal assemblies mount on a shaft that runs through the bracket. For the life of me I can't get the brake pedal to slide off the shaft. Is it frozen in place or is it on with a set screw or something that I can't see under the crud? Maybe I should put the three bolts back in the bracket and put some muscle to the pedal? Please let me know your thoughts.

The members on this forum have always come through to help me with my restoration and I imagine a number of you out there have removed the pedals before. I'm looking forward to getting your responses.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

There are no hidden set screws to look for. The brake pedal, with the bushing (Z) inside of it, should slide off the bracket with the pedal shaft (AA) just like your clutch pedal did.....same as a brake pedal for a Dynaflow-equipped Buick brake pedal, once the retainer (W) and washer (X) are removed.

post-41556-14314281335_thumb.jpg

My thoughts are that you might have to chuck it in a vise and use some penetrating oil with a little friendly persuasion. Removing the crud would also help.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack
different picture for manual transmission (see edit history)

Al,

I got it off but it took a little more than gentle persuasion. I ended up using a 2 jaw puller. It took longer to assemble the puller than it did to get the brake pedal assembly off. Turned out the grease port on the pedal shaft was clogged. No lubrication on shaft made for a bit of a difficult time. The bushing didn't survive so well. Hope they're readily available.

The frame is now stripped and will now be going out for powder coating.

I have another question you may be able to help with. There are some battery tray mounting nuts pressed into the frame. Battery acid has obliterated one of them and damaged the others. Are you familiar with those nuts? Are replacements nuts available?

Thanks for your help!

Pat

New bushings are available and need to be pressed in and honed (similar to kingpin bushings) to fit the existing brake pedal shaft, or if the shaft shows extensive wear, a new shaft should be installed as well. I don't know anything about your battery tray nuts since my forte is the V-8 Super/Roadmaster chassis' with a different battery setup on the driver's side rather than on the passenger side for your I-8 Special.

Hopefully, straight eight owners can chime in or you could drill what's left out and use nuts & bolts or a blind nut.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)