Carpet

sweetpotato

Guest martylum

Bob-I'm restoring a 53 70 series. Hill Jenkins has the correct carpet for that model and may know what you need. Call 336-902-0717.

Martin Lum

53 70 series

I'm about to order carpet for the '53 special. Any recommendations on what original might have been? Color? Loop or cut pile ? Maybe it was rubber? The original is long gone.

According to Buick literature out there.....

OEM standard floor covering, with a standard trim package for a Model 534369D, was a front floor rubber mat, Part #4592968, black without a carpet insert, and a rear floor rubber mat, Part #4613685 ........ cheap as you can get for a stripped-down, bottom of the line, Buick 40 Series Model like yours.

Should you decide to go with carpeting, any carpet would be considered incorrect on a 1953 Buick Special 41D unless you can prove that your car came with an optional trim package and carpeting. Check out your BODY BY FISHER NUMBER PLATE for a TRIM CODE NUMBER. 1953 Buick carpeting has been hashed-over numerous times on this Forum (do an ADVANCED SEARCH) and you will read a lot of incorrect information from suppliers and others in the know. You decide.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

I agree Al, BUT it has also been documented that rubber floor mats are no longer made for many of the years needed by us Buick collectors. My 55 Special model 48 originally came with a rubber mat. I know because it had never been changed out when I bought the car in the mid-80's. Again, I am speaking only of my 55. I do know that it (carpet) is acceptable in judging if there is not a modern rubber floor mat replacement available. It just needs to be correct for the year. In other words, don't use 70's plush carpet in a car that is supposed to have a tight weave like the mid 50's Buicks had. I don't know what is correct for 53.