Door removal 1989 reatta

Guest speegt

I am trying to swap doors from one 1989 reatta to the other . the passenger side to be specific, I have the bolts out holding the door to the car , but the wiring harness , I cant seem to find where you can disconnect it , I have the door panel off and the interior pieces but I see no place to disconnect it , surely I don't have to cut wires . any help greatly appreciated.

Guest PontiacDude210

I think you can get all the connectors through but it gets dicey. Otherwise just clip the harness and add connectors in the kick panel.

Connectors can be removed through the opening in the sheetmetal once the accordion strain relief is popped out. Not easy, but doable. Pull the fuses for power locks, seats and windows first as it is possible to short things to ground when pulling the connectors through.

I'd not reccomend cutting any wires and adding inline connectors or splices as there is very little if any slack in the harness from body to door and no good place to put an accessible connector anyway. Would also be potentially susceptible to moisture damage over time.

Yet again, patience and perserverence are the key to doing it right.

KDirk

Thanks I got it but what a pain tracing all those and disconnecting , seems they could have made that a whole lot easier , but its done thanks for the help.