Doing the 'vert's carpeting this week

DAVES89

It has faded, but not quite to the pink cast we see the tan turn to. I went to APS Tower Paint here in town and they matched the original tan color for me. Good thing I get floor mats from Gibson's as I had to work on technique before doing the carpet. They recommended using a paint brush to apply the paint and then work it into the carpet fibers using a nylon scrub brush. I found much greater results by pouring the paint into a tupperware container, dipping the nylon scrub brush into the paint, giving it a shake or two to get rid of excess paint and applying it to the carpet as if I were scrubbing the carpet. This delivers much less paint to the fibers but yet still "treats" them.

When I used the paint brush to deliver the paint to the carpet [as they recommended] then scrub brush the paint into the fibers, there was way too much paint to work with causing the final look to be much darker then desired.

The color they matched for me isn't the same "golden tan" that I have with the Red [if you remember I replaced that carpet about 5 years ago] but it is a "warm" tan and both my wife and daughter tell me it is a good match and as it cures out will be very much a good color.

As far as prep goes, I removed the door sill trim, the rear cubby latches, and seats. I then rinsed the carpet to remove any loose dirt and then vacuumed with a wet vac and allowed to dry. I will be taping off all adjacent vinyl trim [ using 3M Blue Tape] and then applying the finish.

Hope it goes well because as we all know there is no replacement rear carpet, so I will have to take what comes. And my color is a custom match so nothing from any carpet manufactuer will work.

Starting to sound like the drama ones sees/hears in a reality show. In this case there is no deadline.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

sounds good!:cool:

if you can share some pics with your "tools" and application, it may help others getting ready to the same - no matter what color!:)