1969 Buick Electra 225 Gas Tank And Valve

Guest 69electra

Guest 69electra

Hello Everyone,

I'm thrilled to have found this group. I have recently brought my original 225 out of long term storage & the tank varnished even though proper precautions were taken to prevent this. I have cleaned the tank and not the interior and even the baffle is shiny and like new. At this point it doesn't even warrant a interior sealant application. With just a few hours of work I was able to get the canister style sending unit working nicely again - confirmed by my fluke meter.

I'm posting in the hope that someone with a better memory than myself could jog my memory about about the nipples protruding from the rear corner of the tank. The smaller vent nipple is open and unrestricted. The larger o.d nipple only allowed for a little bit of cleaning solution to drain from it when it was washed. Now, both of these nipples had about 8" lengths of fuel hose running to a plastic valve that had a deteriorated and compromised piece of cork or some sort of "stopper" in it. It's original purpose in my opinion has long since stop being effectively being served. The large line is def. the feed to the pump - I haven't been underneath this car in 15 years and the cobwebs in my head are very dense.

It's 430+4, every option available. 60,000 original miles. Grandmother bought new in 69 - only driven by her for about 6 years. post-101461-143142580951_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give me into this situation I am currently facing.

post-101461-143142580924_thumb.jpg

Those two ports are hooked to the two ports on that plastic vent piece. That cork material inside is like a mesh , and if it's not deteriorated you can just reuse it. If it is deteriorated and you can fish it out with some tweevers, you can buy a generic aircleaner breather element ( not an air cleaner, but a generic breather element from a 69 Buick, remove the mesh and cut and stuff the piece back into this plastic vent.

Those two vent ports in the tank should be clear enough to blow air through. One may go to the drivers side of the tank and the other just ends right there. As long as you can blow through them you should be okay. There should be about 6 inches of hose on them to the plastic vent and then the vent is tucked up alongside the tank so that the opening is close to the trunk floor. If you do not use that plastic valve with the mesh material, you will have raw gas odors coming from the car.

Good luck.

Guest 69electra

Good Morning,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. I was concerned about the larger port being obstructed - my inability to blow air through it warrants further inspection and work before I proceed with the installation. Thankfully the cork like material in the vent piece is in tact. I was initially concerned with it's "just sort of being in there & rattling around." From what I understand, that's it's intended design. I'll be running the hose lengths that you suggested - that matches what was initially on the vehicle & still in their respective labeled bags.

So to paraphrase : clean the ports, run new hose, route up & above tank - preferably towards rear of the tank to eliminate petrol odors.

Thank you again. I just have to pick up the new shoes & mount them. Shoot the primed & blocked trunk & go through the arduous task of trying to remember how everything hooks back up after over a decade. Reinstall gas tank & mortgage the home for the first fill up. Thankfully, I still have a few full cases of lead additives.

Very Truly Yours,

Christopher