89 Sunroof coupe

KDirk

Just found posted on STL, MO craigslist: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ptd/4312761005.html

Not mine, but looks like a nice car from the limited (only 2) pictures. White with burgundy interior, black body side moldings and original wheels. Claims to have a factory sunroof, but cannot see it in pictures provided. Ad states it is an 88 but the center console switch bank has only two buttons (not 5 as in 88) so I believe it to be an 89. The sunroof would add supporting evidence of this, as very few 88's got one.

I cannot make out the mileage on the odometer display due to the focus (or lack thereof). However, am 98% sure the first digit is a "0" so it is under 100,000 miles. 2nd digit could be a 5 or 6 by the looks of it so may well be under 70,000. Shows an asking price of $2000 and claims new battery, brakes and tires. No visible warning lights on cluster and CRT looks clear. Steering wheel also looks nice with no major leather damage visible.

I have no affiliation with this car or the seller. And no, I am not remotely interested in buying (even though it is the right color combo!) as I am maxed out on Reattae presently. Ok, I can't really say I'm not remotely interested, but I just can't consider it. If there is serious interest, I may be able to arrange to look at this car for a potential buyer. Hope it finds a good home as it looks promising and may be a real bargain, assuming no hidden issues. I do wonder at that price. Appears to be a dealer listing, not private party FWIW.

KDirk

OK, I'll bite.

You could satisfy a lot of peoples curiosity (yours and mine at least) by scouting out this car.

Look it over and take several pics of both the good and the bad. Confirm the year, mileage, sunroof etc.

I did this a while ago when there was a lot of interest in that "Chicago" car. I made the info and pics available upon request to those who agreed to not publicly post the information. That arrangement worked out very well. That particular car had a cracked windshield that the seller didn't mention and didn't show up in the online pictures provided by same. Since the car is long gone and not currently for sale I can show some of the pics here now as an example.

post-67519-143142446281_thumb.jpg

Point being... well... you know.

John F.

post-67519-143142446254_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142446259_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142446264_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142446268_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142446272_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142446277_thumb.jpg

John,

Will see if I can arrange a looky on this one. No phone number provided so will see if I can raise the seller by email. Have had mixed results with CL ads that only have the throw away contact info, many never respond in my experience.

The pictures of that Chicago car, wow. That was kind of rough, especially that cradle bushing shot. I've been lucky to get cars that were much cleaner than that. Even Threatta which was the roughest of the bunch yet was in better shape by far.

Seems the divergence between nice driver cars and rolling parts bins is getting wider at an exponential rate now, but that isn't so surprising given age. Wear and tear (and rust especially) isn't continuously linear in nature. Depends on the locale, of course. However we are now seeing the acceleration of that effect with the more marginal examples around.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)