Carb for a 1965 American 440?

Guest goathouse

Guest goathouse

Hello all! I'm having all sorts of problems with my mixture, fast idle, choke...and it's no wonder. I think that this carb is somehow a patch of several different Carter carbs. In any case this is 6042S which is not listed as a stock carb in my service manual. My thinking is that I get a nice rebuilt stock carb and drop that in. That said, are there preferences to what I should get? According to my manual the carbs that were installed on the 2323ci engine were the Carter RBS 3709S, and the Carter WCD-3888s.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

John

Oakland, CA

Guest NikeAjax

Now, call me crazy, but shouldn't the butterfly open completely on this sucker: well it ain't! On every carb I've worked on, the butterfly-valve, when the motor is hot, goes vertical; this one stays about, I'm guessing, 20-degrees from horizontal: is this right?!?!?!? I should also note that it won't open ANY FARTHER

Jaybird

Edited by NikeAjax (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NikeAjax

I found this on Wikipedia:

"Changes for the 1976 model year included fuel economy improvements that also reduced emissions and reduced warmup time. This was accomplished by reshaped carburetor air passages that pushed the fuel efficiency of a 232-equipped AMC Gremlin to 30 mpg-US (7.8 L/100 km; 36 mpg-imp) as tested by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, compared to 24 mpg-US (9.8 L/100 km; 29 mpg-imp) in 1975."

What carburetor is on the 1976 Gremlin?!?!?!?!?

Jaybird

• 3 weeks later...
Guest goathouse

Hi Jon,

So...having all sorts of issues with this carb. Does your shop offer full rebuild services? As in I send the carb to you and you send it back to me all rebuilt and happy? I'd be interested in that sort of service.

I hope to hear from you soon,

John

The 6042s is a factory replacement for the 3888s.

The 3709s is for a 195 CID.

Jon.

Guest goathouse

Hang on - could the carb for a Gremlin be used on on a Rambler? Per Napa that would be a Carter type YF. Would it fit? Carbking, do you have a position on whether or not this would work?

John

I found this on Wikipedia:

"Changes for the 1976 model year included fuel economy improvements that also reduced emissions and reduced warmup time. This was accomplished by reshaped carburetor air passages that pushed the fuel efficiency of a 232-equipped AMC Gremlin to 30 mpg-US (7.8 L/100 km; 36 mpg-imp) as tested by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, compared to 24 mpg-US (9.8 L/100 km; 29 mpg-imp) in 1975."

What carburetor is on the 1976 Gremlin?!?!?!?!?

Jaybird

Hi Jon,

So...having all sorts of issues with this carb. Does your shop offer full rebuild services? As in I send the carb to you and you send it back to me all rebuilt and happy? I'd be interested in that sort of service.

I hope to hear from you soon,

John

(1) The replacement information in my first post is as Carter suggested.

(2) Replacing a non-smog (1965) carburetor with a carburetor designed for smog emissions (1976) is BEGGING for trouble!!!

(3) We used to restore carburetors, we no longer have time to do so. Our primary focus has always been first on the manufacture of carburetor kits to provide parts for others. As the addition of ethanol to the fuel has greatly increased the amount of issues with carburetors, the demand for repair kits is currently at a 40-year HIGH! We have not had time to restore a carburetor in the last 2 years.

(4) Did you ever determine why the choke butterfly in your carburetor is not going to the full open position when the engine is warm? Solving this issue may solve ALL of your issues.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Guest goathouse

If dropping in a 6042s is a good idea,then do you have any idea where I could buy a 6042s?

(1) The replacement information in my first post is as Carter suggested.

(2) Replacing a non-smog (1965) carburetor with a carburetor designed for smog emissions (1976) is BEGGING for trouble!!!

(3) We used to restore carburetors, we no longer have time to do so. Our primary focus has always been first on the manufacture of carburetor kits to provide parts for others. As the addition of ethanol to the fuel has greatly increased the amount of issues with carburetors, the demand for repair kits is currently at a 40-year HIGH! We have not had time to restore a carburetor in the last 2 years.

(4) Did you ever determine why the choke butterfly in your carburetor is not going to the full open position when the engine is warm? Solving this issue may solve ALL of your issues.

Jon.