Drum puller info

AndyC

OK, getting ready to do brakes on 62 chrysler. Last brake job I borrowed an original old drum puller from a friend who has since had it stolen. There are several on the market, including the "universal" one in the attached picture. Does anyone have any experience with any of these. Have seen a few of the "used originals" on ebay, but leery of buying one that has cracks or flaws and not useable.

Eastwood advertizes one but it looks very flimsy.

post-31862-14314184199_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good one. A few tips....Be certain that the brake shoes are adjusted in away from the drum. Leave the retaining nut on the axle a few threads and that way the drum will not fly off when you hit the puller with a hammer. Be certain the arms are bolted to the drum studs tightly. Use a sledge hammer, not a rubber mallet.

Looks like a good one. A few tips....Be certain that the brake shoes are adjusted in away from the drum. Leave the retaining nut on the axle a few threads and that way the drum will not fly off when you hit the puller with a hammer. Be certain the arms are bolted to the drum studs tightly. Use a sledge hammer, not a rubber mallet.

Thanks for your reply and tips. Unfortunately most of these things you learn by trial and ERROR. Last time the brakes were done, I didn't leave the axle nut on and almost broke my ankle when the drum popped off.