Installing Drivers Side window

Guest cattmann

Guest cattmann

Can anyone give me a heads up on how the regulator arm that acts like a pair of scissors with a spring installs.The only way that I can see that it will attach to the window channel is to wind it tight on the spring so to position each end in there proper positions .When I removed it I dont remember tension being on it but I do remember how it was attached to the window and the regulator itself.The other two ends ,one has a hole which I beleive goes to the adjuster slot and the other to a small section of track on the left of the door.In order to achieve this I have to revolve the bracket which is winding the spring tighter .This is on a 1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe

Edited by cattmann
forgot to mention year and model (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
Can anyone give me a heads up on how the regulator arm that acts like a pair of scissors with a spring installs.The only way that I can see that it will attach to the window channel is to wind it tight on the spring so to position each end in there proper positions .When I removed it I dont remember tension being on it but I do remember how it was attached to the window and the regulator itself.The other two ends ,one has a hole which I beleive goes to the adjuster slot and the other to a small section of track on the left of the door.In order to achieve this I have to revolve the bracket which is winding the spring tighter .This is on a 1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe

cattmann,

did you get the dilemma resolved?

I've got a 40 Royal Coupe with the driver's side window out, and had used the directions from an original Shop Manual to get it out........if it not for that, it surely would have been difficult, because there are certain steps taken to remove the glass, and then the mechanism. Per the manual, the directions for install, is to reverse steps for removal

But, I had removed the rear channel from the door some time ago and can't recall just what was there to provide the rear anchor for the "X" scissor mechanism. I have sand-blasted and primered the channel pieces. I'll have to look through the "parts box" However, I do know that the one end with a "keyed" hole is used for a special shouldered bolt at the slotted adjustment near the center of the door as you have alluded to. That bolt goes in from inside of the door and comes out (to the interior of the car) where the washer & hex nut can be installed.

The passenger's door is also apart, so I don't really have anything to look at, and the Shop Manual doesn't show that detail. Also, there's a difference between L & R

All of the mechanism hardware on this car was rusted and the small hubs on some of the tracking wheels were rusted to the springs that push them against the channels.

2 of the small wheels were missing altogether, so looks like I'll have to make some replacements. They look like model railroad wheels.

If yours is still apart and you'd like a copy of the page out of the Shop Manual, PM me. I can send it via email

gatz

Guest cattmann

I figured it out .I also have removed it a few times installing glass as it kept binding. I finally ordered the weather stripping and a new channel with wheels and tightened it up with no more issues.I have to do the pass side this spring.

glad you figured it out.... now, can you tell me? LOL

can you take some pix of the mechanism that would show the rear-most anchor ?

I still don't quite understand it

gatz

Guest cattmann

My window is all together with the interior in place. I know I had to wind it against the spring so there was tension on it when installing I think I twisted it to create tension and applied a small pair of vise grips to hold it from unwinding when placing it in the door.I will try and find a pic on line to help me remember