Teens/Twenties Steering Column, Just What Is It???

Ben Popadak

O.K., I've got one for the really great detectives. A steering column that I have no idea what it came off of. Anybody able to identify it???? She's a real heavy beast, short (I put it next to a Ford Model T steering column for a reference) and the bottom of the column is made twisted off at an angle. I got the column out of an old repair garage in upstate New York. The garage closed in the early 70s but it was loaded everywheres with stuff from his dad when that gentleman ran the garage, and the father closed the garage in 36. A once in a life time pile of stuff to stumble across.

post-59780-143138160246_thumb.jpg

post-59780-143138160253_thumb.jpg

post-59780-143138160258_thumb.jpg

post-59780-143138160262_thumb.jpg

post-59780-143138160267_thumb.jpg

Several features are typical of heavy trucks: iron 5 spoke wheel, side of the column control, slow ratio ( small worm diameter and large driven worm wheel diameter). Besides being quite short ( very very short), the plate on the end of the gearbox and the flange around the tube appear to have been vertically mounted. This makes the output shaft nearly vertical and headed down. It is hard to tell just what was going on there as it appears to have been torched off. Usually such a vertical orientation would have connected to a drag link that went across the vehicle to the opposite side tie rod end ( Model T Ford etc.). Perhaps the cut off shaft was long and this column was up high to put the driver beside and above the engine.