Rim wanted for 1911 Cole Raceabout

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

Looking for a Firestone 34 x 4 (26") demountable rim to fit 1911 Cole Raceabout wood spoke wheel. Condition and price to "johns@lowrey.com". Looks like wheels on car in image. (Need one for spare tire) Thanks Looking for a Firestone 34 x 4 (26") demountable rim to fit 1911 Cole Raceabout wood spoke wheel. Condition and price to "johns@lowrey.com". Looks like wheels on car in image. (Need one for spare tire) Thanks

Guest stude8

Rest assured friends it won't be getting new paint or Brass polishing while in the present caretakers stable. The car was purchased new by Mr. Smith Jackson Ramsdail and was driven in Utica, NY area until a transmission fault in 1924 parked it in a shed and its hibernation began. Ramsdail had a friendship with an Everitt Pye and sold him the car in 1963 when it was moved to a second resting place in a shop Pye owned in Frankfort, NY. Ramsdail passed away in 1965.

Pye was attached to the car and while he never got it operational he did preserve it another 32 years until after his death it was sold in 1995 to Mort Huber of Illinois.

Now came the decision to preserve it in a functional state or turn it into another trailer queen for Hershey. The car was sent to master engine mechanic David Greenlees in Vermont for mechanical restoration with the understanding nothing done would detract from the 71 year old patina it had acquired.

It now drives as good as it did in 1911. The engine is 291 CID 4 cyl L head with a "Square" 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" bore and stroke. It can climb the steepest hills in Rothrock State Forest near Boalsburg, PA and sprint along at 55 mph on the country roads near McFarland, WI where it is usually found in the Summer.

My position in this story is I do periodic maintenance on the car for its owner and just this week got it running after almost a year of idle time in the garage. It is a great car on a warm day with the wind in your face, with the gas pedal located between the brake and clutch I have a heck of a time double clutching between gears and admit more than once I had to stop it and start from first again. Here is a photo of the left side on mountain road in PA a few years ago. Stude8

PS Now about that rim we need for the Firestone 34 x 4 NonSkid spare?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stude8

Just want to get this request back up on top of pile incase anyone is cleaning a barn this weekend and comes across a 34 x 4 Firestone rim. Thanks Stude8