Duracool Freeze 12

charlie1

The link, http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc-12a.html#q1 , redirects to the US EPA web site where Duracool and Freeze 12 are discussed. It looks like questions 3, 4 & 6 make it clear that *legally* Duracool cannot be used at all(don't expect a pro shop to help ya). If you take this link http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/macssubs.html, you'll see that Freeze 12 is allowed but only after complete evacuation of all the Freon-12 and converting the system to HFC-134a with new fittings, seals, etc.

Charlie,

Sorry about the long winded reply. No, I'm not staunchly legal and ultra conservative. I guess it's the fact it's really hot outside and I don't feel like messing with the Reatta today so Internet surfing is the time passer of the day. I also found in the EPA site that the following states prohibit the use of flammable refrigerants (such as Duracool) in automobile air conditioners: Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia. Even if you got a supplier lined up, I don't think they could ship it to you if you're in one of those states. I went to the Duracool web site ( http://www.duracool.com ) and poked around. They're out of Canada and it's interesting they don't list any of the restrictions above. On the surface, with their ads, the Duracool looks like the best bet to charge up an R-12 system. If you live near Canada, maybe a road trip would be worth your while. A wealth of confusing information that could be decyphered by a Reatta loving pro A/C guy if one was a member out there...

I think their home office may be in Canada but maybe you should poke around a bit more I am showing their address as

DURACOOL USA LTD.

P.O. BOX 24596

CHATANOOGA TN.

PHONE 1-800-427-4510

(perhaps shipping address)

Just trying to share some information.

not suggesting breaking the law.

not a lawyer ot certified technican

Just a consumer reading Classic car magazine and web sites and looking for more information. a friend of mine who lives in FLORIDA just received a case from them for his classic cars.

Charlie

By the way you got me curious about the flash point and their 12a Which is suppose to be a R12 drop in. According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)it is NOT classified as a FLAMMABLE. Flashpoint is 1635 Degrees (COMBUSTABLE) Compared to 1328 Degrees for R134

IF YOU NOTICED The DUPONT logo appears on their website in various areas

(interesting)

JUST SHARING INFORMATION For those of us who cannot afford a conversion, to 134.

From the duracool web site:

" DURACOOL 12a® is flammable and should only be leak tested with an electronic hydrocarbon leak tester, soap bubbles or fluorescent tracer fluid.".

Reading further:

" In order to utilize the product as "refrigerant grade" the product is further refined to render out methane gases and other impurities. This refrigerant propane is different in many ways, most notably is the disparity in the auto ignition. Essentially this refining makes the product safer and more stable. The Auto ignition for regular grade propane is 842 F, while the DURACOOL® product's auto ignition is 1635 F. "

So DuraCool is essentialy highly refined propane. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with this particularly since the high side pressure (which is apparently not as high as R-134A) is in front of the firewall. - Looks as if there is much more danger from a leak in the fuel rail than from the a/c.

I called and ordered a 3 can tune up kit with adapter to try in our 1986 Olds costs about $47.00.

Will advise if any major problems occur in the near future.

Any comments on the Dupont logo appearing in the Duracool website.

Hope it works

stay cool

Charlie