58 Chrysler 300D gasoline tank

Hello. My gasoline tank was damaged when my 300D was recently shipped to USA.

First question... does anyone make new tanks?

Second question... can you recommend any restorer? I found this firm via Google :

http://www.gas-tank.com/

Third question... do I have the wrong tank anyway?

The tank fits the car perfectly. The straps align fine. The filler neck screws in perfectly. The reason that I wonder if I have the wrong tank is that there is a large circular inspection plate in the trunk floor. One would think this is to access the sender unit. When the plate is removed, however, it reveals only the roof of the tank. The sender unit is in fact at the front of the tank.

Could I have a tank from some other late 50s Chrysler product? What say you? Any 300 owners available to comment?

Tank removed today, but I am reluctant to restore this tank if it is technically incorrect.

Thank you

RS

Whoa - what a rare car to have been one of the very few 300-D Fuelies built, most of them got recalled and had twin four barrels installed as you probably know anyhow. Are you going to try and find an original fuel injection setup for it ?

Ian

Yes, she's the real deal. One of 21 EFI cars built, and one of 9 known survivors. Thank you for the compliment.

No plans to convert back to EFI. A complete system would be likely impossible to find. The few people that have them don't want to sell, and the price would likely be huge. They were unreliable in 1958 and would be no better now without replacing whatever part of the system was weak (I think it was the solenoids, but am not certain).

300D_docks.jpg

I sent an e-mail to Kruse Auctions to ask how much they think the car may fetch at the Fall auction.

Whatever, I have to fix the gasoline tank first. Now at least I'm confident it's the right tank for the car.

RS

Regarding the tank... I am no expert but when I got my 300 I had to get the tank either replaced or fixed. I searched high and low and was not able to find anyone who markets new tanks for old C body Chryslers. They may be out there but I did not find one.

The web link you have is one I found. They have a good web name for searchers but the process they use, Tank Renu is actually a franchised process that you may be able to find more local to you. I have no idea as to the affect of having this process done will have on car value. This was not my concern so much as I needed to do something.....I had it done to my tank at a local radiator / media blasting shop. The webste below is for the company that markets the process. The process worked on my tank. I didn't have damage though, just a lot of contamination, stalagmites and rust.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

good luck with the car, it looks great in the pic.