REALLY need help with starter drive on 1953 Starter,...splines?

Guest coaltownkid

Guest coaltownkid

Guys!!

Here's what going on....I found the gears were mushed up totally beat on the drive gear, got a new(rebuilt) drive from CARS in NJ.

Asked for the correct one for a '53 Buick Super with a 322 engine. When I got it home, and took the starter apart, I then

saw that the inside splines of the drive gear, and the splines on the shaft that it fits on were different. The shaft has a spiral

gearing, but the drive gear is straight.

I thought that maybe by chance the thing had been packaged wrong, so I called to speak to someone there to get the right one.

I live about an hour away in PA, so I can drive there. The guy I spoke to was clueless!!!!! I explained at least four times wht the problem was

and then finally got him to go and compare some starter drives. He said they ALL had straight splines inside, that none were spiral.

He said I must have somekind of bastardized starter on here,...?? Funny thing is, the guy I bought it from two years ago was a mechanic

for about 15-20 years in the 1950's and KNEW what he was doing!!! When I had inquired into the engine that was in it, he said they

took the onld one out because it was shot, and stuck a goo one in,...same correct engine,..1953 Buick 322 nailhead!

So, being taht I'm not well versed on these starters,..what DO I have here? IS it really correct, but CARS doesnt carry the part

and doesnt know what they are talking about?...OR,..is it that I DO have some other starter that came from another car but did

work on the nailhead??

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

J.

I had the opposite problem when I first acquired my '55 Special. I think tha that is a '53 issue only, that

54 through 56 used the spiral shaft for easier engagement. If you do not get a drive, I MIGHT have a good

used one off a 54 to 56 starter.

Guest coaltownkid

I dropped it off at an old generator alternator starter repair shop with an older gentleman,....said he'd have the correct

starter gear drive by tomorrow??!! I was blown away,...we'll see if he can come through or if I'm gonna hear that he thought it

was something he could get, etc. etc....yadda, yadda,...I've been through that before personally. So I'm not very trusting

in certain cercumstances.

I'll let you know if I'll be needing taht starter!!! THANKS in advance!!!!!!!