1925 Ryan Lite headlamp Co. ??

FLM

I got 3 of these Ryan Lite headlamps at an estate sale but have no clue what they came on. Never even heard of that company before.

It says on the stand "1925" plus the pat. info.

They have a flip locking ring instead of screws and hinged on the top of the ring. They are about 12" across. Instead of a deep coned bucket these are flat

with a embossed design on the back them. Two are stainless and one is painted. I'll put a picture when I can.

FLM....Ryan lites were used for many applications, including but not limited to some Stutz and Franklin models.

But then Ryan was also used on some commercial vehicles as well. Your best way of identifying the actual vehicles that the different model numbers were used on would be to have a manufacturers catalogue listing said models. Regards; oldiron

Thanks for the responce oldiron!

As luck would have it, I was at the Nethercutt Museum today and met the cheif historian. He ID'd them as Stutz '26-27.

That confirms your help. Here is a few pictures.

476150649_95a43c0e50_o.jpg

476150645_dff1b76d2a_o.jpg

That is definitely not the usual Ryanlite used on M series Stutz and Blackhawk cars starting 1929. Those had a more conventional body shape. There were several turned up new-old-stock in Melbourne about 1970, but no-one seemed very interested because the bodies were very flatlike a saucepan, maybe 3" deep at most. (Funny thing, the chap who was closing his odds-and-ends shop because of his advanced age apparently enjoyed another 12 or 15 active years).

The gimmick for Ryanlites was the argument that the lens design cast more light sideways. That may not have been helpful driving through fog.

Ivan Saxton