Ever replaced your own windows?

Guest Tishabet

Guest Tishabet

Quick question for you guys:

I've replaced gasketed windows (like windshields etc) in other cars (e.g. VW beetle) so I feel like I can probbaly do that job fairly well with my Buick. However, I'm thinking of replacing all of the glass in my car (there's a lot of delamination etc) and I have no idea how to get the old door window out of the metal channel piece (the one that attaches the window regulator) and how to get the new piece in/secured. Any advice or experience?

Also, someone mentioned that to replace the windshield in the Buick I will not only need new windshield rubber but also som "black goop." Anyone know what that's all about?

Thanks!

Guest dabecker65@gmail.com

Goop is an adhesive/sealant found in a tube at most hardware stores. When I replaced windshield in my '38 and a '55 that I had about 30 years ago, made sure mating surfaces were absolutely clean and only used diluted dish soap as a lubricant. Don't recall ever using any "Goop" and never had any leaks. Just a thought...could be wrong - I'm old afterall.

Guest Albert

sometimes heating the track will help, or prying the track apart a bit, then re crimp the channel before you install the glass and rubber,,

My side glass came out pretty easily - just start prying the channel off - you may want to try some PB Blaster or WD 40 to soften up the old rubber. A little heat may help too.

I think (not sure, because it was missing on mine)you need a rubber gasket that fits the channel and has a lip to seal against the door when the window is in the full up position. I didn't realize this and reassembled mine using a channel gasket without the lip. Furthermore, I think the '38's don't use an outer belt molding (the fuzzy strip that runs horizontally), instead relying only on the lip seal to keep out the weather. My doors have little rubber bumpers that would be in the way of an outer belt molding anyway.

Let me know if you agree with this approach. If someone can add their confirmation of this, you'll be helping both of us!

Jeff