1985 Dodge Omni GLH heat/ac control

Guest hekay

Guest hekay

Looking for a heater/ac control for a 1985 Dodge Omni GLH. This has factory ac. Have tried a few from bone yards but they have not been correct. The differences are with the electrical connector. Thanks Harold.

It sounds like you are willing to use the non GLH heater/control unit from the ones you have pulled so visually there must not be any difference. Without seeing the connector end that is on the heater control - I would say there are a coupl eof options, if you want heat and ac. Since the part has been discontinued, you know that what parts are out there, is all there is - and I don't believe they made more then a few thousand GLH's. I worked at a Dodge dealer during that time, and I don't remember getting more then 3-4 of them per year.

So, yo can either modify the connector end that is on the heater control unit of the boneyard replacement, by putting your connector end on the boneyard find, or you can splice the non GLH connector into your wiring, therefore having the correct connector - then you would have an unlimited supply, relatively speaking, of heater/ac controls. Or you can look into having your H/AC control repaired at an electronics shop. Those as I see it, are your 3 choices.

I would try the H/AC repair first. This technology is 20 plus years old. Maybe an electronics geek can figure outwhere the short or open is, and repair it - maybe better then new. My 2nd choice would be to replace the wiring harness side connector to the non-GLH connector. This would be done in one of two ways. Follow the wiring back into ther main harness and see if the section that goes to the H/AC control unit is stand alone wiring, meaning there is a connector on both ends. It's a long shot, and probably NOT the case, but then you would simply replace the wire length with the complete length of the non GLH car.

My next action, provided the above two failed, is to replace the connector end of the wiring by swapping with the non-GLH connector. Then you can use as many of the H/AC as you will need over the years. You will need a GLH wiring diagram to find out what the differences represent-why are the connectors different? You will need to make apples to apples reconnections of course, so you will need to know which color wires do what.

Wire snipping (cutting) may not be necessary. Some automotive connectors (the plastic surround) allow for individual wires to be snapped in, pushed into place with a plastic retainer to "catch" the wire so it doesn't back out. (This is - by the way - a major reason for some electrical issues in newer cars - a wire didn't get fully seated)

Anyway, if the Chrysler connector is not set up for removal, you will have to splice it at a length back from the connector (6-10 inches usually) More permanent repairs require solder and some skill to make the re-connection but now you will have the non GLH connector coming into the non GLH H/Ac unit.

That is why it is critical to determine what the "extra" wire is for - byuse of a wiring diagram hopefully. If you aren't sure, you will need to ask someone who's answer you might trust. I would go to the Dodge dealer, ask a service writer/advisor if you can speak to the electronics senior technician at the dealership. Come with wiring diagram, the unit, the connectors. You could even leave it there if the dealership is busy and ask for him to look at it when he has a minute-and you'll be back. or the same advice would go with any mechnic you trust/hobbyist you trust.

I am sure there would be a national GLH club of some sorts-that could assist and has seen this issue pop up.

This about covers my suggestions. I can not imagine why there is an extra wire to the unit EXCEPT as an additional protection device, to prevent a fire, short, cancellation of another function, just not positive until you have the wiring diagram and can trace the wire to it's purpose.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...