Wheel Buffing

Guest Buick Mike

Guest Buick Mike

With a spare to play with, I'd clearcoat it and see how it turns out. If I didn't like it, I'd just put a good coat of wax on the others and plan on touching them up once in a while.<P>Mike

I am in a similar position, so would appreciate information on how to, and results. The wheels come off and the Reatta goes on blocks soon. It's been a beautiful fall here in Minnesota, but the writing is on the wall. It's past mid Nov. and is still Minnesota. cool.gif" border="0

Three years ago I used a chemical paint stripper with a high pressure wash and removed all of the clearcoat after talking with a local wheel restorer who recommended it. Results were fantastic. (Keep the stripper off the plastic Reatta Logo parts) A lot of the shine returned immediately upon stripping. The dullness is in the clearcoat. Used a buffing wheel on a drill and Mother's aluminum wheel polish to buff them up to a high shine. Some problem areas under the wheel weights. Then wax regularly. I am using Zaino and recommend it strongly.<P>What did you end up paying for a wheel and did it have the Reatta Center Cap? The reason I am asking is that I have four from Texas that are perfect, second car owner and I am thinking of selling them.<P>Thanks in advance, Robert<p>[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Drive it like I stole it. ]

Guest C.F.Massie

Has anyone tried stripping off the clearcoat from their Reatta wheels? Mine are showing the wear of age and careless driving into curbs, so I want to clean them up. I purchased a spare wheel on eBay, it had a few scraps and scratches on it. I took off the clearcoat and just lightly buffed the finish, it came out looking pretty good. It was not to shiny, just a lot sharper and clearer than the original. Now my question really is should I just keep it polished real good or should I put clearcoat back on? I'm afraid the clearcoat might just dull the finish like the original wheels looked. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I'd like to start on the other four wheels.