More Solenoid Problems!!

Moparbob

O.K.-After hooking-up switch between two posts on solenoid, starter works with ignition switch on. But, keyed ignition switch works now, too. Coincidence? Or can a solenoid work intermittantly, like only when cold? I know heat increases resistance, but it's only been in the 60's here lately. Frustrating when you pay towing to shop, diagnose fees, etc. and car is still not repaired right. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bob.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Bob,

It still sounds like a wiring problem and most probably either a dirty connection which produces a high resistance affect causing the voltage to drop below that which is necessary to pull in the solenoid.

I remember that the 6 volt VW's had a similar issue where the starter was obviously at the rear and the 6 volt feed had to go from the battery underneath the rear seat all the way to the ignition switch and start function and then return to the starter solenoid.

Sometimes when the key was turned to start their was insufficient voltage fed to the solenoid and the starter would not pull in.

The fix was to put a heavy duty relay next to the battery and feed the contacts directly from the battery with the switched wire feeding about 3' to the solenoid.

The relay coil was energised from the start function on the key and it never missed from then on.

Up until this was done it was commen to slip under the side with a screw driver and bridge between the battery terminal and the solenoid pull in terminal to get a start.

I would also check every connection, push on terminals, the solder connection on the solenoid terminals as well as for a broken wire.

I dont think that heat would be an issue as the starter is on the opposite side to the exhaust system.

Regards

John Spinks

Aussie C9 Coupe

• 2 weeks later...