Fuel Gauge

Guest joereatta

Guest joereatta

Over the last few fill ups my gas gauge stays stuck at full until it goes below half full and then measures accurately. Is there a quick fix or will I need to drop the tank and replace gauge/sender, etc? Has anyone experienced this?

After I replaced my fuel sending unit my gauge wasn't working either, I was told to put fuel injector cleaner into the tank. It took a couple of tries but my gauge no longer acts up, I'm not sure if this would help you but it fixed my problem, and you really don't want to drop the tank if you don't have too.

Guest F14CRAZY

I suppose the float could be hanging up on something.

Pulling the tank isn't that bad if you have to, though never an easy job. Will want to wear safety glasses (gas in the eyes sucks, I know from experience) and have a few fire extinguishers around.

With fuel pressure relieved (either using a test gauge on the fuel rail, or disconnecting something and running the car until it stalls.

The fuel tank probably won't be low, and since you have to handle it yourself, this sucks. Using F14's trick, I'd disconnect the pressure line from the pump, on the fuel rail, and attach a piece of hose with the other end going into a gas can. Run a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the mysterious green connector under the hood, near the ABS and air filter box. This will pump out the tank. Will want to disconnect it right when it starts running dry (or preferably, before) as not to strain the pump. Won't take long.

Getting the tank down is pretty easy, though you may want to replace the tank straps if they're rusty.