58 Olds with posi: axle length?

Guest bobscads

Guest imported_bobscads

Does anyone have the axle lengths for a 58 Olds with limited slip or posi? I know there're different both LH& RH & lengthwise from stock. Help! Bob

I do not have the lengths, but '57 and '58 Olds axle shafts are the same, regardless of posi or open rear, except for '58s with New Matic suspension, which are 1/2" longer than conventional suspension shafts. LH & RH are different part numbers, but I don't know that the difference is in the length. Shafts came throught parts with studs already installed and we all know the left side is reverse thread. When I had the axle rebuilt in my '62, it came back with the shafts switched. We just switched them back. They are interchangable 'cept for the studs. But maybe '57 and '58 are different lengths left and right.

Paul

Guest imported_bobscads

Hi Paul, I believe you're right on the open axles being the same length but different thread. However the master parts book shows different axle shafts for the posi in 1958. This is in addition to the air ride axles & the open axles which fit 57 & 58. My experience with other GM posi axles is that one axle is shorter & one is longer than the open axles. So... my question remains; does anyone have the measurements I need? Bob

What year book is that? My '63 book has a LH & RH listing for '57 & '58 exc. air suspension, and another listing for '58 with air suspension. No different listing for posi for '57 or '58. Ditto for '59 to '63, btw.

'58 Anti Spin supplement manual only says that air suspension cars used shafts that were 1/2" longer and that they can't be used in conventional suspension cars, and vice versa.

Also says that a '57 car can be converted to anti-spin by swapping out the carrier. Says nothing about changing axles.

I'll have to check my Service Guilds. Maybe there's something about axle length in there.

Paul

Guest imported_bobscads

Paul, my book is dated Jan. 1958. That's actually good news that they no longer show different axles in your book. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Bob

Interesting...

I checked my Service Guild last night and there is nothing in there about the anti-spin. I guess since they printed a supplemental manual they didn't feel the need to have anything in the Guild. Too bad they didn't list the shaft length in the manual. But definitely only 2 listings for shafts in the '63 parts book.

Paul