Question: 1976 Cutlass Alternating Turn Signals?

Guest Regalwizzard

Guest Regalwizzard

Help please! I've owned quite a few Oldsmobiles and a number of them had the front turn signals which alternate with the side markers when the headlights are on. Someone advised me this was done by the factory passing the ground of the side marker through the bulb of the turn signal. When the turn signal is off, the marker uses the bulb as a ground and illuminates. When the turn signal comes on, the ground is broken and the side marker goes out. Thus the alternating effect. Now I would like to wire my late model Buick the same way. However, I don't exactly know where the side marker ground is supposed to be attached. Anyone know the answer!

Boy, am I skating on thin ice in regards to non-Olds content on this one...

I made a similar modification to my '05 Magnum a few months ago. My side markers did not blink at all (I think). Now, they blink with the turn signals when the lights are on, and alternate with the turn signal when the lights are off.

Modification was as simple as switching two wires in a connector. More information here:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=32475&highlight=blinker

I would think your Buick would be similar. At least explains the theory behind it.

Paul

Guest Regalwizzard

Thanks Paul, the wiring summary in the link you provided says: "When powered on[turn signals], the side marker has 12 volts on both sides and doesn't light." This proves the sidemarker negative lead get attached to the postive lead of the turn signal. I thought this was the case, since wiring negative accomplishes nothing! Now I have to find out if this is possible because I also have the DRLs incorporated, using a dual filament 4157 bulb. However, since an alternating "hot" powers the second filament, I would think it should still work. Thank you again for your response. It was much appreciated!

Guest Regalwizzard

Paul,

The DRLs and front turn signals are incorporated together into one socket & the DRLs are always on. The bulb is a dual filament 4157. As far as I can see, engaging the turn signal activates the second filament for increased brightness, like a brake light. My hope is to isolate the turn signal circut lead and splice into it. In theory, since the DRLs are constant hot and the turn signals intermittent, I think it should still work.

However, the person who first told me about this mod original wrote "Please note, however, that this modification would only work if the amber DRLs turn OFF when the headlights and/or park lights are turned on. If the DRL bulbs are always on, the marker lights would never have a path to ground and would never come on (until the turn signals were turned on, at wich point they'd alternate)."

However, I don't see a problem if the DRLs and Turns have independent power sources. What is your opinion?

Thanks,

Dave

• 5 weeks later...