Affordable upholstery

the41cadguy

Guest bkazmer

know whether you want wool as original or synthethic blends (they are shinier and feel different) - there's a major price difference

Doesn't the difference in price for the material pale compared to the cost of labor? In other words, when looking at the large picture of doing a complete upholstery job, does it make sense to use the wrong materials? Let's say the job costs $8,000, but you can save $500-$1,000 if you use the wrong stuff.

Um, guys. While I am new to the forum, I am NOT new to the hobby. I started way back in 1958. I definitely know the difference between the materials available. If I wanted synthentic, I'd leave the custom made seat covers the car is presently wearing on it. (I will probably install wool broadcloth in the car which Hirsch sells for $75.00 per running yard.) The firm that I was looking for purportedly did the labor for far less than current labor costs and had appeared somewhere on the AACA site. I appreciate the posts however, and I like the quote about skirting the issue...

And, if anyone does remember seeing the reference to the firm with more details, I will be grateful for the information.

Hi Tom, Forgive me for not responding last night. It was getting late and I forgot to back up to this spot. Yes, that was the right firm. I am going to call him as soon as I get off line. (Still have dial up.) I also have a local lead on a firm locally that did a complete leather/top job on a classic for 9K and 7.5K was for materials. They are purportedly from south of the border originally and did the job for a local high roller (He bought one of the original Duesenbergs a year ago in Auburn.)

P.S. We went to Gene Perkin's garage a couple of weeks ago and I fell in love with the color of his roadster about the same year as yours. The dark brown/maroon one. Best regards, BW.