1951 Buick Hood Rubbing Finder

1951SuperConv

I have a 1951 Buick Super Convertible and it's in the shop getting painted. We ran into a problem with the hood rubbing the finder when opening it. It's ok when down. We checked the hinges, they were loose but we now have them tight. We have adjusted the hinges as per the shop manual. The finders are adjusted all the way out and the hood will still rub on the hinged side of finder when about 1/2 way open. It does this no matter which way you open it. I have got to get this fixed before I paint the car or it will just roll the paint off the finders. Any ideas???

Guest James Conkwright

Welcome to the joy of owning a sideways opening Buick. I love the sideways opening but the rubbing is the only thing I hate about my car! I adjusted, adjusted some more, and after a few four letter words to the car adjusted some more. Just moving the hinges the smallest amount can correct the problem. I finally got mine fixed and its been ok for 4 years. The time that it didnt work I put a piece of vinyl in the spot it was rubbing and that helped. Does the '51 have the plate that the hood balances on? The early '50 (mine) doesnt have that but the later cable opening has a steel plate about halfway up the side of the fender and the hood has a metal piece to meet the steel plate. Might be something to check into if yours is missing. Alot of times they are taken off for some reason or another. I dont know much about the '51 model so I'm not sure if it has the same type thing. Be patient!

Well James I think you hit the nail on the head. I was at the shop today checking out the car and noticed the metal plates that should be on the finders are missing. Two attaching holes are there but it looks like the plates have been removed from the finders. I don't know what anyone would remove them but they are not there. I am going to make some temporary plates until I can find what originally belong there. Thanks for the post you?ve been a great help.