Rear spring removal

Clipper47

My 47 Packard is now blocked up for the winter so I'm doing some restoration to the front and rear suspension. I am having a bit of a hard time getting the shackle bolts pushed back through the spring bushings. I suspect that the bolts are pretty fixed to the rubber after 58 years. The biggest worry is the front bolt through the eye of the spring because the nut is reached by a hole in the frame. I was thinking that the best approach would be to somehow remove the rubber bushings perhaps by drilling out the rubber and then the bolt should come free. I don't want to pound on the bolt head for obvious reasons since the shackles are in good shape. Any tips appreciated. Has anyone tried using neoprene bushings?

you can burn part of the rubber out of the shackle, and the come out easy or you can slide the spring off to one side, and then wiggle the shckle out of the frame mount. the front enr is a little more work but the do come free, have done it a few times with my cars

the front bolts on the later ones have no bolt head at least on the 51-54's, if you worried about the gas tank you could drop it out, or put a piece of sheet metal in between. What i have found with the oxy/acet torch is you can get the rubber to start to burn , and then turn off the acet, and just blow oxygen on the rubber and it will burn out with little flame. Check the front bolts and see if has about a 1" circuler head, which is on a slight taper, i have had little problem getting them out with a little heat and use a drift to punch out the bolt..

Kanters may have them, if not i may have a couple here for the 54's, which i think is the same bolt

i heat the nuts up red hot before i try to take those out, have not broken one yet.

Albert, Well I got the shacle bolts off with no problem but that darn front bolt is seized on pretty good. Unfortunately all I have for heat is a small propane torch which I don't think will heat it up enough from past experience. I have to get a longer drift but failing that I may have to cut this one off with an angle grinder if I can get in close enough. Thanks for the offer of the bolts. I will probably need them so hang on to them for me please!

the rubbers do not have a steel sleeve in the so if you can get it to mow a little they are not hard to get out, even the propane torch shoul be able to burn it enought to loosen the grip .

Guest imported_Speedster

I got some from LeBaron-Bonney, they call it 'poly-slide spring-liner'.

In 20ft. Rolls, 3 widths: 1.75" for $10., 2" for $11. and 2.25" for $12.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/osc/catalog...614b36238241f10

They also sell 'Anti-squeak pads', if you need those? $1.75 each

Their Year-model designation is for Fords, so Ignore that.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/osc/catalog...614b36238241f10

Check with a spring shop in your area, i bought enought to do a set of mine for $25cdn , they use the same stuff in the older corvettes, just take a measurement of the width of the leaf, and you cut them to length, i think 25 feet did both sides of my 54 clipper..