copper head gasket

Hello, my 1935 Dictator has an aluminum head and a copper head gasket. Is this the correct one?Have heard that it should be a steel faced gasket on account of electrolysis. I would think the copper would be better and the head itself doesn't appear to be corroded.The gasket I know has been on the car forty years.Best to stay with copper? Thanks in advance.

Your Aluminum head should have a Steel faced head gasket for the reason you commented about and also there is some concern about the different rate of expansion and contraction from cold to hot and back again during operation. The electrolytic corrosion is a serious problem with the aluminum heads, you should treasure the one you have if it is still serviceable. If you don't have a steel gasket to install contact Bob Kapteyn at Joliet Studebaker, he may have one on hand. He specializes in mid 30's stuff and has a 4 story building FULL of parts. Stude8

The Studebaker parts book calls for a copper asbestos head gasket for the aluminum head, and a steel asbestos gasket for the cast iron head. And I know that companies such as Edelbrock specify to use the gaskets with the copper sealing rings with their aluminum heads, as it will not brinnell into the aluminum like the harder steel ones will. I have not looked at the charts, though, to see what the potential for galvanic action between the various materials is, though.

Joel