Cracked brake hoses.

cal55

I just replaced the struts on the car, what a fun job, I'm glad it's done though. I noticed the front brake hoses have quite a few cracks in the rubber coverings. Do you think they should be changed or is it just the outer covering that's craking? I think I already now the answer but just wanted others opinions. The hoses aren't expensive and it looks like a fairly easy job. I bought the speed or ez bleeders at Pep Boys and those make bleeding the brakes a lot easier.

Joe

Any time you don't know when the brake hoses were last replaced, it is best to put on new ones. Brake hoses frequently have internal problems that can't be detected until they cause problems. I don't know about Reattas of other years,I suspect that that '88 and'89 are the same, but the '90 Reattas have 5 brake hoses. One to each wheel and a crossover hose for the rear. When I ordered my hoses from a Buick dealership, the very experienced parts manager could not find a part number for the crossover hose. I believe we got it from NAPA. If your brake fluid has not been flushed recently, it would be good to do that at the same time.

Thanks Ed,

I'm guessing the hoses are original. I didn't realize there were 5 hoses,I missed the crossover one. I did bleed the rear brakes and stopped when I noticed the front hoses were cracked,I didn't want to do the job twice. The brake fluid looked pretty dirty that's why I was bleeding the brakes to change the fluid.

Take Care,

Joe