1928 Dictator 6

1928D6

Hi, Dave here, from Christchurch, New Zealand. I've only just discovered this forum, and I'm hooked. Attached is a pic of my 1928 Dictator 6, which I'm slowly making improvements on, and still a long way to go, but I hope I'll get a lot of much-needed advice from members here. She's not perfect by any means, but I love her just the same.

post-48563-14313790823_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum! If you have not already joined the Antique Studebaker Club please do so. You will find a lot of liked minded members who love the old pre-war Studebakers and a vast source of information. Here is a link to the ASC web site: http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/membershippage/membershippage.htm

Also, you car looks very nice to me. I wish my President had as nice of a paint job as your Studebaker. Just like you, my Studebaker is a work in progress, a little bit here and there as money and time allows.

brougham2.jpg

brougham1.jpg

Mark:

I have to compliment you on the new Brougham roof fabric. It must be a devil of a job to get the seams and rear corners nice and smooth without puckers rolling it over in multiple directions. Hope the paint job happens soon, a really nice car. Stude8

Stude8:

The roof on the Brougham was done long before I bought the car. Who ever the person was that painted the car a solid red was also the person who replaced the roof material the car. I was recently at an upholstery shop looking into the cost of a correct new interior. This is a high-end shop that specializes in the ?Classic? era cars. According to the shop owner my Brougham has 1969 Mercury Cougar vinyl top material. Oh well, it looks nice, and was a well done installation. The correct material for the Brougham roof is buckskin leather. It is on the list of things to do and may take a few years to get the correct paint and finish on the car. In the mean time, the car runs and drives nice, cruises on the freeway all day at 55-60 mph. Oh, and that is at 10 mpg with a 16 gallon tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark:

One of my favorite stories about Broughams was when Herb Read of Chesterton, IN bought a very well kept original condition 1931 President Brougham from an estate out East (Massachusetts?) he had it shipped on an open trailer to Indiana. On that trip the delivery guy was cruising along the Ohio Turnpike at 70mph and peeled the factory leather roof off. Herb was sick when he saw it, the car sill has factory body paint and the roof was in like condition when he bought the car. It was replaced and the car still looks very presentable. See the attached image taken in 2002. Stude8

post-31139-143137908232_thumb.jpg