Just puchased 75 Caprice convertible-No Clue

unclemrbig

I have purchased a 1975 Caprice Classic convertible from my dad. It has 46,000 miles and is in really nice shape (at least this is what all of my dad's AACA friends say). I have shown it in a couple of very small local shows and the judges say with some cleanup it would be a top rate car. An AACA judge told me to start under the hood and go from there. I have cleaned a fair amount but see paint is faded (or worn) in certain spots. My questions are: 1. Where do I start to get a car that is in great mechanical shape to show condition (everything is original and I have lots of time), and 2. what do I do about the paint situation? For example, it is obvious the air cleaner is faded and the fender well around the battery has a small amount of corrosion, as does the firewall. Also, the master cylinder shows some surface corrosion (I suspect from brake fluid). As you can see, I am clueless. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

A lot depends on what you want to accomplish with your car (for show). Do you want to please the general public, yourself or bring it to factory specs. Only you can judge how much time and money you want to spend on the car and how you will best enjoy it. Hope this helps. As far as mechanics go. Go through the car system by system, starting with the brakes, my theroy has always been if something craps out on the car that ya have not got too, its O.K. as long as you can stop. I would replace all lines, rubber in the rear cylinders and new shoes, along with new rubber in the front calipers and new pads, also don't forget to repack the wheel bearings. Look at your tires and check for cracking replace if necessary. Now ya got a lead sled that will stop. Next system would be the cooling system. I have found if ya piece it out like that it makes the task of bringing the car back easier and more fun. I have an original 65 Buick Skylark and after loosing the brakes this is what I did. Just my two cents. Above all enjoy!!!!

Guest SASSYSUE

another caprice owner! welcome. i have a 75 chevy caprice classic convertible that is all original except for the paint and radio to my knowledge. mine has a little over 42,000 miles and im the second owner. just do the stuff on the car that needs it and drive it and enjoy it like ive done. as long as you love the car thats all that matters. if you get awards for it great if not thats ok too. ive gotten trophies where the other owners and spectators vote for your car which is nice and some ive gotten just for showing up. ive gotten 1 best of show that was from people who had nothing to do with the show. they just liked the car. i should put pix of my car in the chevy photo gallery so everyone can see my pride and joy. id love to see pix of your car. what color is it? mine is a silver/ platinum color with a white interior and black top. i have just about every option on it except the bigger engine, hood ornament, dual mirrors, optional leather, and trunk release. does yours have wire wheels? mine does and to me thats what makes it look elegant. have fun and enjoy!